ELMA, N.Y. – The Hilbert Men’s Soccer team took on Elmira College today and lost by a score of 4-0. It was a hard fought game from start to finish playing on the turf at Sahlen’s Sports Park.
- Final Score: Elmira 4 | Hilbert 0
- Location: Flash Field | Sahlen’s Sports Park
- Records: Hilbert 3-4-2 I Elmira 6-2-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Due to the rain earlier in the week, Hilbert moved the game to a neutral site in order to get the non-conference contest in the books.
- The turf was wet but fast and so was the speed of the game. Both team passed the ball well, but Elmira built a 2-goal lead by intermission.
- The Soaring Eagles connected in the 8th and 12th minute as the Hawks’ defense elevated their efforts to the break.
- Hilbert played even with Elmira, but a trip in the box led to a PK goal in the 71st minute and distracted the Hawks for a minute. Elmira padded their lead 100-seconds later and took the shutout victory.
- Hilbert stayed with Elmira in the first half, credited with four shots to the Soaring Eagles eight.
- The Hawks were outshot throughout the contest which led to them having a deficit in corner kicks and scoring opportunities.
- Logan Peck made six saves but faced multiple 1 v 1 looks in the second half.
- Carter Burke and Beckham Blair each took two shots today.
Hilbert opens the AMCC portion of their schedule this weekend when they travel to Pitt-Greensburg Saturday, October 1st.
– Justin Evoy
Editor’s Note: This story was written by the Hilbert Athletics staff and shared with The Scribe