ELMA, N.Y. – The Hilbert Women’s Soccer team hosted Elmira College this afternoon at the Sahlen’s Sports Park due to playing conditions back on campus.
The Hawks stayed with the Soaring Eagles the first 45-minutes but lost their momentum in the second half and fell in a 4-nill non-conference contest.
- Final Score: Elmira 4 | Hilbert 0
- Location: Flash Field | Sahlen’s Sports Park
- Records: Hilbert 3-3-2 I Elmira 4-5
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Due to the rain earlier in the week, Hilbert moved the game to a neutral site in order to get the non-conference contest in the books.
- The light rain stopped by the time the women’s game started at 3:30 pm so the turf was wet but still fast.
- Elmira took a one-goal lead in the 9th minute after carrying the ball down the left sideline and finished with a centering pass to the box that landed in the back of the net.
- Macy Kisner had a terrific opportunity in the first half, sprinting with and then past an Elmira defender which left her alone in a 1 v 1 with the keeper who was credited with a save in the 24th minute.
- The Soaring Eagles scored back-to-back goals from up top off hard shots that sailed over the Hilbert keeper, and they repeated that same feat six minutes later from the same spot on the turf for the win.
- Hilbert closed the game with 11 shots and four corners while Elmira led with 21 and 7, respectively.
- Hailey Kuder was credited with seven saves in 69:32 minutes before Tahlia Kosek traded in her field jersey to finish the game in net with one save.
- Grace Zabawa led the charge with three shots and Kisner, Hannah Brock and Gabrielle Avallone added two each.
Hilbert opens the AMCC portion of their schedule this weekend when they travel to Pitt-Greensburg Saturday, October 1st.
– Kara Rehbaum
Editor’s Note: This story was written by the Hilbert Athletics staff and shared with The Scribe