The Hilbert College softball team resumed their season today after a long break following their spring break trip to Myrtle Beach. Today they traveled to take on Elmira College in a double header. The Hawks struggled in the first game of the day but got their feet under themselves and improved in the second game.
Game One: Hilbert 0 – Elmira 8
Game Two: Hilbert 3 – Elmira 14
- Hilbert struggled in the first inning and was unable to get any runners on base. On the other hand though Elmira started strong earning 2 runs with Brittany McAndrews starting at pitcher for the Hawks.
- Both Elmira and Hilbert were held scoreless in the second and third innings. The Hawks did not register a hit in either of these innings as well but both Brionna Raiser-Russell and Chloe Champagne got on base.
- In the fourth inning Mackenzie Catan earned the first and only hit of the game for the Hawks with a single to center field. Again though with Brittany McAndrews pitching the Hawks also held Elmira to no hits.
- The fifth and final inning of the game though was where Elmira turned up the heat and finished the game. They managed to score 6 runs and eventually finish the game.
- The Hawks started off the game hitting with Makenna Smith reaching first base on an error but this would lead to nothing and they would be held scoreless. Bailey Budziszewski started the game at pitcher for the second game of the day. The same went for Elmira as they earned one hit but could not score.
- The Hawks started getting stronger in the batter’s box as the game continued on. They earned two hits in the second inning by Leandra Cruz and Bailey Budziszewski. They were still unable to score though and Elmira took advantage of that, scoring four runs.
- The Hawks answered the bell though in the third inning scoring three of their own to make it a one run game. Chloe Champagne was the leadoff batter and earned a walk and eventually stole second where Makenna Smith would earn an RBI with a single to right field. Makenna Smith would then steal both second and third and eventually scored on an error by the catcher. For the third run Mackenzie Catan singled to center field and was eventually brought home by Julia Stutz who hit a double to right center field.
- Even though the Hawks now managed to get on the scoreboard they continued to struggle defensively. After allowing four runs with only one out in the inning the Hawks made a change at pitcher and brought in Brionna Raiser-Russell. Elmira was able to tally only one more run in this inning to make it 9-3 at the top of the fourth.
- After strong offensive play by both teams, the defenses prevailed in the fourth and both teams were held scoreless. In the fifth inning though the Hawks could not manage to score while Elmira earned five runs including a grand slam to end the game.
The Hawks next double header is on April 1st when they travel to the University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg for their first AMCC games of the season. They will be played at 1 and 3 PM.
Editor’s Note: This story was shared with The Scribe by the Hilbert Athletics Department.