Hawks softball traveled to Greensburg Pennsylvania today to take on their first AMCC double header of the season. In the first game of the double header Greensburg took an early lead and never looked back. The second game of the day was much closer and very back and forth.
Game One: Hilbert 0 – Pitt Greensburg 9
Game Two: Hilbert 6 – Pitt Greensburg 7
- The Hawks started off the game at bat and did not register a hit while Greensburg managed to score two runs on hits and one error by Hilbert. Brittany McAndrews started the game as pitcher for the Hawks.
- Victoria Hanley earned the first hit of the game for the Hawks in the second inning but they were unable to score. While Greensburg had a strong inning in the batters box scoring four runs.
- In the top of the third inning Tayler Avery singled to left field but again it would come to nothing. Greensburg continued to pile on the offense though, making the game 9-0.
- In the final two innings both teams combined for only three hits and no one else managed to score to effectively end the game after the fifth inning.
- The Hawks started off this game with Victoria Hanley reaching base on an error but could not turn it into a run while Greensburg kept their hot bats going scoring three runs with Bailey Budziszewski in at pitcher.
- The second inning was slow with neither team earning a hit. The Hawks would begin their trek to making a comeback in the third inning though scoring their first run of the day with Emma Gionta hitting a double to bring in Makenna Smith.
- The fourth inning was slow with neither team earning a hit. The Hawks began to heat up though in the fifth with Makenna Smith hitting a triple and then eventually scoring off of an error. Later that inning Bailey Budziszewski would reach first on an error and get two RBI’s bringing in Victoria Hanley and Emma Gionta.
- The Hawks continued to grow their lead in the sixth inning with Victoria Lakeman hitting a single to left field and earning an RBI on a Chloe Champagne run. Greensburg though would score three more times this inning to retake the lead 6-5.
- In the seventh and final inning Victoria Hanley would hit a fly ball and eventually bring in Makenna Smith to tie up the game. Unfortunately for the Hawks though Greensburg would score and end the game 7-6.
The Hawks next game will be a double header at Geneva College on April 4th. The games will be played at 3:30 and 5:30 PM.
Editor’s Note: This story was shared with The Scribe by the Hilbert Athletics Department.