HAMBURG, NY – Today the Hilbert Hawks Men’s Soccer Team faced off against Alfred State at home. The game was back and forth and a very tight battle. Eventually the Alfred State Pioneers would win the game 4-2. This game was their final home game but they did clinch a playoff berth.
- Final Score: Hilbert 2 | Alfred State 4
- Location: Hawk Field | Hamburg, NY
- Records: Hilbert 5-9-2 AMCC 2-5 | Alfred State 9-5-4 AMCC 4-2-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Hawks kicked off against Alfred State on a beautiful fall day for their final home game at 3:00.
- Less than a minute into the game Alfred State took the lead and for the next fifteen minutes both teams battled hard and could not find an edge.
- In the sixteenth minute Jason Vullo struck one on a breakaway with his right foot into the bottom right corner of the net to tie the game at one.
- Only eight minutes later Jason Vullo put a beautiful cross in for Chris Smith who just had to tap it home for Hilbert to take a one goal advantage.
- Alfred State was not finished though as they cashed in two more times before the half to make it a 3-2 game with 45 minutes to go.
- The entire second half was a deadlock as neither team could get an edge. As Hilbert began to push up in the final minute looking for the tying goal they would get caught out and eventually get scored on. Hilbert would go on to lose the game 4-2.
- The Hawks took a total of 3 shots throughout the contest. They were heavily outshot as Alfred State took 10. This led to Alfred State having an advantage in corners, Alfred State had 5 and Hilbert had 2.
- Jason Vullo led the Hawks today with two shots on goal and was followed by Chris Smith who recorded 1.
- Logan Peck played outstanding today recording six saves in the loss.
The Hawks head back to the program’s first post-season tournament since the 2015 season. As the No. 6 seed, Hilbert will travel to No. 3 Alfred State on October 29 with a 12 noon first kick due to that campus’ double header play-off series. The winner of the First Round game will advance to play at No. 2 Pitt-Greensburg on November 3.
AMCC Tournament seedings:
No. 1 Penn State Behrend
No. 2 Mount Aloysius
No. 3 Alfred State College
No. 4 Pitt-Greensburg
No. 5 Penn State Altoona
No. 6 Hilbert
First Round Games: October 29
Semifinal Games: November 3
Championship Game: November 6