Hilbert Baseball, off to the program’s fastest start in Division III history, improved to 10-7 after they posted a 13-3 and a 6-5 non-conference sweep over Cazenovia College today at Gutches Lumber Sports Complex.
The Hawks got big offensive numbers from Thomas Evans led with four hits and a pair of doubles, and Ben Chowaniec led with four RBIs, all the while, Patrick Whelan poked another home run today.
Zackory Panfil pitched the Hawks’ first complete game of the season and Blaine Morgan collected his first win in two tries in the nightcap. Brendan Walsh now leads the AMCC league with his fourth save this season.
- After John Watson walked to first, he scored the Hawks first run in the top of the 2nd off Derek Martinez’ triple.
- Evans doubled at the top of the 3rd and was plated of a Whelan sac fly putting Hilbert up by two.
- Hilbert added three more in the fourth, first by Martinez’s RBI single; Chowaniec’s RBi sac fly was followed by Evan’s RBI single before they exploded with six runs in the 5th.
- After playing small ball at the start of the inning, Hilbert’s first out was a bases loaded throw to home. Then Chowaniec doubled, knocking in three runs and Jairo Santos repeated that hit as he pushed in pinch runner Alex Ellison to set the 10-run lead. Santos sprinted from second to home on Evans’ error by the pitch at bat.
- The Hawks, up by 11 runs, tacked two more on in the 7th when a fielder’s choice added the first and a bases loaded situation gave the Hawks the 13-0 lead.
- The Wildcats hit three singles and a double to get on the score board in the 13-3 defeat.
BY THE NUMBERS:
- Benjamin Ratajczak went 3-for-5, with a RBI and one run scored while Martinez earned two hits with 2RBIs along with one stolen base and one run scored. Chowaniec, who earned one hit, knocked in four runs in the win.
- Zackory Panfil earned his first win this season and his second complete game of his career after he struck out three, walked two and held Cazenovia to three runs off eight hits.
- Both teams found their hitting rhythm in the third and fifth innings as the Hawks held on for a 6-5 win in the night cap.
- In a pitcher’s duel early, both hurlers held their opponents to just one hit through the first two innings. But the Hawks struck first – and with two outs early in the third inning. After back-to-back walks, Whelan’s single plated Evans and Jack Duffek’s hit scored Ratajczak and Whelan.
- The Wildcats manufactured three runs in the bottom half, using a double to score two baserunners and a double to tack the third one on.
- Morgan continued to limit chances for Cazenovia in the fourth before the Hawks benefited from Whelan’s second home run this spring and Griffin McAndrew’s at bat that scored Martinez who reached second off his own long-ball double. McAndrews tallied Hilbert’s final, and ultimately, much needed run off a wild pitch.
- Cazenovia responded once again with back-to-back hits before the Hawks made a pitch change in the 5th leading 6-4. Ronald Mort got Hilbert out of trouble with only one additional run scored.
- The Wildcats limited Hilbert who had two ducks on the pond in the 6th and Brendan Walsh entered the game to earn his fourth save this season.
BY THE NUMBERS:
- Chowaniec went 2-for-3 with a double, as Evans scored one run after earning two hits including a double. Whelan scored two runs, in addition to his home run while finishing with two hits and two RBIs.
- Morgan faced 21 batters, stuck out two, as he limited the Wildcats to six hits and five runs.
Hilbert is scheduled to open the most important part of their 2023 season this week. Highly unlike to be played on Saturday based on the weather forecast, Hilbert is supposed to travel to Bradford, Pa. for a 1pm double header against Pitt.-Bradford. Stay connected for the pending make-up date.
Editor’s Note: This article was shared with The Scribe by the Hilbert Athletics Department.